To Travel, or not to Travel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Travel, or not to Travel?

Post  nannahs on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:18 am

It had been many years since Zefira had made the journey across the Territories-since the twins were but babes. But she had had help then, and better transportation. Now it was just a small cart and occasionally a donkey-when they were available, and she didn't need to trade it for money. The back of her mind had been dredging up memories of the journey and the places recently, though, and it was building. The woman swept harder in frustration. They aren't ready for such a trip! she thought. The poor broom dealt with similar abuse often when Zefira was thinking. Sweeping not only cleared the space physically of dust and mentally of magical leavings, it gave her time to clear her mind before doing any serious work. With the thoughts going round and round, it was definitely time to see what the herbs said. It was time to try divination again.

nannahs
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Travel, or not to Travel?

Post  Outsane on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:30 pm

"You abuse that broom any more, m'lady, and it will be as broken and worn as a tree in a snow storm." He was standing, a good several feet away from her. The man had been watching her abuse the broom and the dust kick up and float every direction. His face was expressionless, though a smile could be heard in his voice. His eyes gleamed with a certain lighted joy that made him look genuinely happy.

Rai, that was the man's name, took a step closer. His hands were in his coat pocket, which was buttoned up to the throat and the belt tied up around him. "If y'need it, I can help?" The unusual offer of aid to such a small job could be seen as curious and possibly underhanded. Did he want something in return? Was he going to use that broom to force her to give her gold to him? Though what went through Rai's mind, which no one saw, was 'This will keep me warm.'

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nannahs on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Being shocked out of her reverie, Zefira yelped a bit and looked for the threat. Then her mind finished processing what she had heard. She set the broom against the side of their home to make it more comfortable.

"An interesting turn of phrase, traveller, and more than a little true. I do frequently repair my broom to keep up. I appreciate the offer of help, but unless you can find a lost man or a way to help with dinner, I'll decline." Though she did not immediately distrust this man, his manner of dress was more than a little odd, given the midday heat. Hopefully the twins would have the good sense to stay indoors and napping until his trustworthiness was determined.

nannahs
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:52 pm

Rai stepped back a bit at her sudden shock, he wasn't used to speaking with humans, so his prediction of reactions were quite different than expected. Once the woman finished speaking, he nodded slowly, bowing a little as well, then said. "I would gladly help, but I must ask a favor. The inn and tavern have no room for men such as I. I believe I may have frightened them. If m'lady would not mind giving a room or at least shelter from the storm tonight, I would do any chore in exchange, and pay what meager earnings I hold."

He had stopped by both the inn and tavern before stopping at Zefira's home. The inn keeper took one look at him and dismissed him. Not to mention the room's temperature dropped immediately after the refusal and frost formed over the logs, so no fire could be started. The tavern was indeed full, though however many were actually staying was indeterminable. So the tavern was left without a drastic temperature change.

The man stared at Zefira with an expressionless gaze at this point, waiting for her response. He added slowly. "I may even sleep with the beasts in a barn, if you have one."

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nannahs on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm

"I can't help but ask just why both inn and tavern would be afraid of one overdressed young man? However, so long as I obtain your solemn word, held by the powers that be, that you will not now nor ever harm me or my children. I do not want charity of any form. Honest help I could use, if you have the hands for it. And there is no barn, and hardly a house. If you want to sleep, you'll sleep outside as I do. Only the little ones stay indoors at night." Zefira straightened to her full height and looked straight into the young man's eyes.

"Will this arrangement work for you? If not, I will need you to leave this area immediately."

nannahs
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:56 pm

The thought of being outside made him uneasy, but surely there would be a roof over his head. That was more than the inn keeper and bartender would offer. "This information was not disclosed to me, unfortunately. I'm used to rejection, though. I'm a foreigner and from a land with a reputation of bothersome warriors. Perhaps they believe I have weaponry under this bulky jacket."

'Or perhaps they see me as a freak.' Rai thought to himself.

"I know the strain of physical labor and have no question with your conditions." He said finally. A light smile appeared on his face. It was good to see that she sacrificed much for her children. More people could stand to be as such.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top