Tracks in the Sand

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tracks in the Sand

Post  Outsane on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:14 am

He wasn't used to the vast, dry, flat lands. He lived in a cave dug into the side of a large mountain; catacombs were the hallways and gems embedded into the walls were the light.

Instead, his surrounding were smaller than he. The dragon ignored the heat of the sand on his underbelly as he dragged himself around. The sand could not support his impressive weight and sunk deeply as he took a step. His tail covered up the claw marks he left behind; although, the whisper of the wind was enough.

Zadoch unfurled his large, membranous wings and flexed them, allowing the sun's rays to be absorbed. He was large enough to see the city not too far from where he was, though he had no desire to go there, knowing he'd cause fear in the people. He found a large rock near an oasis not too far from where he stood, so the large dragon drug himself upon the rock, his large claws now free from the pull of the tiny grains.

He laid his girth down entirely across the rock an used his tail for balance as he leaned in to drink of the purified water. Once his thirst was quenched, he rested his head down to the sand below and closed his eyes, allowing the heat to lull him into a peaceful state of rest.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tracks in the Sand

Post  Gyrfalcon on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 pm

Tengi woke face down in the sand, his cloak protecting him from the sun for the time being, his sword was a few feet away half buried by the sand. His head was buzzing, a clear sign he had to much to drink the night before.
"Ugh, I thought I was going to a festival, how in the world did I end up out here? Must of been a new moon last night."
Picking himself off the ground, Tengi brushed sand off himself. he was without shirt and his coin pouch.
"Oh well, I've got my sword, my cloak, and my pants. What else do I need?" He asks the snake that's passing by. "That big dragon shaped rock looks as good a place as any to figure out where I am."
Tengi starts walking towards the dragon's silhouette in the distance.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:15 am

"Hmm?" The grand dragon's head turned a bit and his eye caught sight of a stranger approaching, a man, well into his adulthood. He remained motionless and gazed at the approaching short-life with intrigue. Did he not see the dragon? Did he not care? Was he coming to slay the dragon? No. If the man were coming to slay the dragon, then he would have started running by now, having been seen by the dragon.

He held his breath and watched, as a gentle breeze picked up and brushed sand past Zadoch's face, he inhaled and exhaled quickly, stirring more sand into the air and sending the tiny pieces scattering across the desert. What would he do with this human? Should he attack? 'Hah,' Zadoch thought to himself. 'Humans aren't worth the effort these days. Besides, I've come only to seek the weakening of the Wall.' Still his gaze set on the approaching man, thoughts fluttered his mind of ways he could send the human away from him.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:58 am

Kura had all intentions of detouring far around the dragon as she dared without throwing herself off track too far. She dared not risk her mare's life to satisfy the giant reptilian's stomach. However, now they had stopped, watching as a man got out of the sand and began to walk straight for the dragon. Epona's ears perked forward as they watched and snorted, shaking her head, almost in dismay.
Kura patted her neck, "Agreed," she muttered, continuing to watch. Perhaps this would become of something amusing, though she didn't let her guard down, ready to take off if need be.

Stormphyre
Admin

View user profile http://stormphyre.etsy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 am

Tengi tightened his cloak around him, a breeze was picking up and the sand stung against his bare chest. It was funny, he thought, the closer he got the more it looked like a real dragon was sunning its self on some rocks.
"Wouldn't that just be a riot, I haven't met a dragon before, Dragons always keep a princess around don't they? That would be fun." Tengi mused as he continued walking. He decided to call out, after all what could be the harm?

"Oi! Dragon, Sir?, you don't happen to have a princess around do you!?" His voice carried surprisingly far in the dry air.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Zadoch heard everything. The faint murmuring to himself, the snort of the horse and soft whisper of the girl. He remained still constantly, though once the man called out, the corner of his lips curled into a great smile and his teeth revealed themselves. "No princess have I," he said, now moving his great body and lifting his head up slightly so his jaw could move more freely. "Such stereotypes are not held by me in these times. Though a cave and gold I do still keep." His wings stretched out again and his back arched in a cat-like way and he sat himself upon the rock. Looks like no rest for him.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:22 pm

He must be on a sucicide mission, Kura thought to herself as the man called to the dragon. This wasn't one of the calmer moondragons, and thus, she stayed cautious, though nudged her mare forward a bit. Perhaps if the dragon decided to eat the man, he'd perhaps drop something of use. Or maybe he had information on the raiders roaming the arid desert.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:35 am

Tengi fell over laughing in the sand. He kept laughing until his sides hurt and he had to catch his breath.

"A dragon! An actual dragon! I've never met one of you before!" He called as he got himself up.

As he stood he noticed what could be a rider on a horse following him, but "Who cares?" he thought, "I'm talking to a dragon!" He continued towards Zadoch, quicker now.

"Well, Sir, if you have no princess do you have a name? And a tale or two perhaps? Some company would be nice out here." Tengi spoke to the hulking Zadoch like anyone else. Perhaps he would fear him later, but for now the black dragon seemed to be docile, if a bit sarcastic, and most of interesting.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:08 am

'Curious...' Zadoch thought. 'He neither runs, nor screams. He laughs. This human surely has lost his mind.'

The dragon shifted his weight again and leaned forward, his tail rising yet again to maintain balance. His wings opened a bit and he stretched his great neck out towards the man and cocked his head to the side, his amber eyes staring at him intensely. "I've two names," he said finally, after several moments of staring. "One you cannot pronounce, for doing so would singe your tongue and leave you dumb. The other is Zadoch."

Once asked for stories, Zadoch's nostrils flared and he shook his head. "Humans need not know what tales dragons have. To hear a dragon's story is to surely die soon."

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:34 am

"Zadoch...Zadoch" Tengi said it slowly, almost tasting the name. He looked up at the dragon and smiled.

"A proper name, for a proper dragon. But, i don't fear death so can you spare me a tale or two, unless you wish me gone. Then I shall just rest for a spell before going my merry way."

Tengi stared back into the black dragon's eyes unflinching, be it from insanity or some unerring confidence in himself that the man stood in front of the dragon. For just a moment the wind caught Tengi's hair and cloak creating an image worthy of paintings. Until he lost his footing in the sand and fell flat on his ass.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Kura choked back a laugh as the man fell in a less than graceful manner. She trotted closer to them, pulling up a few feet away from the man. Amusement danced in her eyes as she shifted her gaze from the dragon to the man in the sand.
"A dragon sun bathing in the desert sun is not that odd, but a clumbsy man so far from civilization is another thing entirely. You wouldn't happen to belong to a group of raiders roaming these desolate lands, would you?" she pried, danger lurking in the depths of her eyes.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:04 am

Once the mortal fell, Zadoch's lips curled into a smile. It was tradition that humans not look dragons in the eye. It was tradition that humans fear dragons. It was tradition dragons be treated as gods. This man either did away with traditions willingly or truly had lost his mind. He was harmless and as clumsy as a bear with his head stuck in a beehive.

He spoke no more of tales and stories and turned to the female human. "Raiders, you say..." His voice was full of thought and curiosity.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Tengi leaned back in the sand, tilting his back to gaze at the new arrival. He squinted in the bright sun but after a moment her face came into focus causing Tengi to grin wide.

"Well, hello there pretty lady. While you say clumsy I say unlucky either way it doesn't matter as I'm still the one in the sand at the end of it all." he said laughing without a care in the world.

Tengi stood up slowly, brushing sand off himself yet again. Now he had a dilemma, his attention was divided by the black dragon and the green eyed girl. He stood for a moment before making up his mind and turning to rider.

"Raiders? No, I know no raiders off the top of my head. Gypsies yes... well they did steal mt coin pouch and shirt, but I wouldn't call them raiders." Tengi shrugged and sighed. "I hope she isn't one of those out for revenge types. It never works out well long term for me." He idly thought out loud, seemingly unaware he was speaking.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 am

She nodded to the dragon, "Raiders, indeed," she replied, shifting her gaze to the man as he got to his feet. She was about ready to respond until he continued to babble on, and then only raised a brow, leaning forward in her saddle towards him.
"And what if I am out for revenge, sir? How would that not fair well for you in the long term?" she asked, suspicious that perhaps he did know something and was hiding it. That, or perhaps he was wanted and she could make a bounty off him.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Tengi sighed appearing downcast, "Ah, you are then. To bad you're actually quite cute."

Tengi turned away from her on his heel, his cloak flaring around him, bowing to the dragon and moving towards the oasis for a drink. His interest in the two had started to wane so he planned on moving on soon.
As he bent to get a drink he called out, "Oh, I'm called Tengi by the way."

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:01 am

Zadoch remained silent as the two spoke, finding their discussion immediately boring him. He leaned down and took another long drink from the oasis and stepped over it and began walking past Tengi by walking directly over him. He moved his feet and tail to avoid striking him. The dragon glanced about the desert, looking for the place to go. He wanted to find that cave. He was told by some elders that there were caves in the desert and one of them had a powerful amulet that dragons could use to increase their magic and their fire breath. He would leave the humans behind him, they probably were about as much use to him as a broken compass.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:55 pm

She frowned, brushing off the comment and ignoring the dragon now, as he showed no threatening behavior towards her. "You, Tengi-by-the-way, did not answer my question. In fact, you quite brushed it off. So I'll ask you again, how does it not fair well for you long-term if I am out for revenge?" she asked sternly. Her hand wandered down to the arrows at her side, suspicious of him being part of the group she was hunting. Or perhaps hiding information, and she would not stand for it.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Tengi knelt in front of the pool, he splashed his face enjoying the feeling of the cool water on his skin.
"This is starting to get tiresome." he thought as he started to move.
His movements suddenly switched from frustratingly slow to ridiculously fast, like storm clouds twisting suddenly into a tornado. He appeared beside her and her mount, sword in hand, finally revealing himself not as a bumbling fool but a warrior.

"Do you really need me to answer that? Are you not considering shooting me, for a pointless comment? Just because someone close to you died you think your so righteous, you disgust me."

One again Tengi turned away from her and began to follow in the dragon's wake.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 pm

The dragon turned around at the sound of Tengi's disgust and sudden change of personality. His amber eyes gazed down at him with intrigue. Once the man moved forward, Zadoch lowered his head a little and stared intently at the man. "You humans are ever interesting. Dragons are always one thing. Plain and predictable. Humans are not." His head tilted to the side slightly and he looked to the girl whom Tengi had at knife-point mere moments ago. "Though perhaps the female will not be as interested in your actions and more interested in piercing you with her sharp twigs." He didn't know the name of the weapons humans used. He often called them 'metal sticks' or 'wild cat's ball of yarn'. These nicknames would suffice. He'd never ask for the real names, only hope to over hear them.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 pm

She was slightly startled by suddenly having a knife to her neck. Tiny marks and scars revealed it probably happened more often than not. However, it did seem to only push some buttons and spark more of a fire in her. She growled, nudging the horse after him. "Touch me again and you will burn to the ground," she threatened, though it was kind of an odd threat. "However, I'm inclined to carry that out anyway," she replied hotly, heat distorting the air around her right hand. Curious.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Tengi lightly tousled his hair as he grinned at the dragon. "I always feel like one person, you don't fight all the time do you Zadoch? I just prefer to be calm, though I have no qualms with swinging my blade when needed. Rather not draw blood though." He shrugged before looking back at the girl on horseback, his surprise was limited to his eyes widening barely a fraction. "Oh... crap, This won't be easy." He recalled being assaulted before by a flame wielding mage, while Tengi did best him and live, he won with luck. It wouldn't happen again.
"Oi! We already have one fire spiter here lassie." He called out, before looking up at Zadoch again. "Do you breath fire? That's what I've heard in the stories, never mind I'll ask later." Tengi had moved to far away, he wouldn't be able to surprise her with his speed again, he figured he could dodge one, maybe two spells before taking a hit. This wasn't a fight he should encourage but his pride wouldn't allow him to stand down. He pointed his sheathed sword at her again, "You need to calm on down now lass. I would hate to have to mar your pretty face."

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:33 am

"Fight? Nay. Dragons have no need for fighting unless one attempts to steal another's hoard." His attention remained on Kura. He recalled several battles he had had with another dragon who attempted to steal his silver and rubies. Of course he won every time and the skeletal remains of the dragon was left as decoration and a warning to other foolish dragons.

At the mention of being a fire spitter, Zadoch's nostrils flared and he snorted, ash and steam pressured through his nose. "I am no expert with humans, females none-the-less, but perhaps you could simply... answer her questions. I would not enjoy the smell of blood on these sands." Zadoch turned around and abruptly sat onto the ground, causing a bit of wind to kick up the sand and dance way from him in a medium-sized cloud.

He sighed, his breath hot and causing the air around it to wave and warp images seen through it. "You humans think dragons have a short temper." His yellow and black eyes gazed down at Tengi with a glimmer of intrigue. By now, he would have flown off and be nothing but a spec on the horizon. He found this man more interesting than things he could find by searching. Some of the best things are simply stumbled upon.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stormphyre on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 pm

She narrowed her eyes, not too bothered by the threat of mars. She had a number of her own already, what was another? "Perhaps if you listen to the dragon then you wouldn't have to make petty threats or be concerned with being a pile of ash," she replied, fire sparking to life in her hand, though did not release it. Information was more important. Then it occured to her, the dragon was likely to have seen much more than the foolish man.

The fire diminished in her hand and she shifted her gaze to the massive animal. "Zadoch, was it? Perhaps you've seen the band of raiders?" she asked, her voice calming and more polite. After all, the dragon had hardly done any provoking.

Stormphyre
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Outsane on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

His gaze settled to Kura and the steed. The dragon's piercing stare seemed to pass through them and look past them, through time and space itself. When he blinked again, he nodded his great, horned head. "A group of men I have seen," he lifted a claw and pointed westward, towards the center of the desert from where he had come. "They had made a camp many miles west. That camp appeared to have been there a while. They had a grand fence. I had to fly over." His tail flicked a bit as he recalled the sight he had seen. The raiders had lived there for a while, that much he knew for certain.

Outsane
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gyrfalcon on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Tengi lowered his blade realizing he was slightly disappointed. "I guess I actually looked forward to crossing blades with this girl." He mused. Tengi shrugged, probably best he didn't face death today anyway. Then his ears perked up, "Fenced in raider camp? Actually I do know that camp, It's full of half rate sellswords. Did some rich traveler get robbed and want revenge. Their barely dangerous at all." Tengi stated plainly unknowingly adding more fuel to the fire.

Gyrfalcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top